Lake Region FBLA Spring Leadership Conference.

This year on March 18th, the Lake Region Future Business Leaders of America Chapter participated in their state’s Spring Leadership Conference (SLC). This year there were 9 students who participated in the virtual conference. This included going to workshops and competing in competitive events against other FBLA students. These competitive events ranged from presentations and public speaking to online tests of 100 questions that can range from Political Science to Entrepreneurship. 

At this year’s state conference we had three Lake Region students as State Officers. Sage Conley the State Secretary, Raymond Lemrise the State Reporter, and McKenna Blay the State Parliamentarian. These students worked to run the conference by introducing speakers and doing behind the scenes work beforehand with the rest of their state officer team, Champlain College faculty, and the State Advisor, Krista Chadwick.

On the day of the conference, Lake Region Future Business Leaders gathered into the Windjammer Conference hall in Burlington for a destination virtual SLC. There they listened to the amazing guest speakers. The keynote speakers—Frank Kitchen and Joe Fingerhut—were the crowd favorite. After the speakers we learned of the competition winners for both competitive and in-person events. As the State officers would read a name from the presentation, the Lake Region Student would stand and receive their printed award, and then return to their seats and congratulate the other winners in a multitude of categories. Every Lake Region student walked away with an award showcasing all of the hard work and effort they have put in during the year. The Lake Region Chapter even received First Place as the Vermont Outstanding Chapter for all of the great work they have done throughout the year. 

Later on, after the conference, Lake Region continued to bond as a chapter and went to an escape room as a team building activity at Escape Room 60. The team managed to escape just in time through teamwork, critical thinking, and problem solving. It was a great experience and a nice way to celebrate after the Spring Leadership Conference earlier in the day. 

As a chapter, we would like to thank the State Officer team for putting it all together as well as State Advisor Krista Chadwick. We also wouldn’t have been able to make it such a great experience without our local chapter advisor, Mrs. Calhoun.  Mrs. Calhoun just celebrated her 20th year as an FBLA advisor! We also appreciate the help of Amanda McCormick and last-minute assistant Jennifer Blay. 

McKenna Blay, LRUHS Reporter