LR Post

Lake Region's Student Newspaper

LR Post

LR Post

Catch-22: A Review

The most crazy and hilarious book I have ever read

I recently read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I read a copy that was either a first or second edition, but either way it was falling apart. The book falling apart was very close to the way this book increases in craziness and seems to fall apart. It was definitely a fun read and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to laugh. The main drawbacks of the book are the depressing aspects such as how one of the characters, Milo Minderbender, is a war profiteer who at one point bombs the base where he is stationed with planes from not just the Axis but also the allied side. The reason he doesn’t get charged as a war criminal though is because everyone involved in the war is a member of the so called syndicate where “everyone gets a share” Simply because everyone has a “share” they can’t charge Milo because that would implicate everyone else. Milo’s escapades started though very innocently with him selling food to the mess halls for what seems like a reduced rate because he wants everyone to eat really well during the war. The whole Milo storyline depressed at the very least me because it made me realize how this kind of war profiteering and fraud could easily happen and then how Milo could say he is doing things for the men, and then he is the one responisble for there deaths. I hope that other people can read this book and get all the way through, laughing and having the same kind of appreciation for how it magnifies reeal world issues.