Racial Justice at the State House A Day of Racial Equity and Education

On September 30th, the VT Student Anti-Racism Network along with the Vermont state house opened up the doors, and lawn, to students all across the state for A Day of Racial Equity and Education. This group aims to build an anti racist education community throughout the state of Vermont. At this event there were many educational workshops, informational tables on Keep Vermont Cool, Planned Parenthood, Center for Community and Justice, Abolish Slavery Vermont- Pass Proposal 2, Reading to end Racism, Hispanic & Latino Heritage, and more.

There were many speakers including: Becca Balint, Bernie Sanders (via letter), Peter Welch (via letter), Astrid Young, Zoraya Hightower, Erin Maguire, Director of Equity & Inclusion EWSD, Porchea Tipton, Coordinator of Equity & Inclusion EHS, Pankti Desai, EHS student and EWSD Equity Advisory Committee Member, Roland Laverty EHS Student and EWSD Equity Advisory Committee Member, and others. And the workshops were:

• School Boards & Equity Policies – Sianay Chase Clifford (This is something Lake Region debated and passed last school year)
  • Building Fearless Futures – Netdahe Stoddard and Russell Shoatz
  • Equity Leadership Through Student/Adult teams: A Collaborative Approach to Policy Development and Implementation
  • Human Rights Commission Cassandra Burdyshaw (she/her) – Staff Attorney and Investigator and Amanda Lucía Garcés (she/her) – Director of Policy, Education and Outreach
  • Storytelling with Mia Schultz
  • Poetry for Racial Justice with Rajnii Eddins