McKenna Blay

McKenna+Blay

Having done this column for three years, with as much consistency as a highschooler can typically manage—which I am sad to say isn’t as much as even I was hoping—it is time for me to retire writing to the Ranger Post, now known as the LR Post, and more importantly to give up my Humans of LR column. So as a final goodbye in my senior year, I figured I am a Human of LR and why not have my last Humans of LR post be someone who I know will respond to all of my questions, because it’s me! 

So, my name is McKenna Blay. I am eighteen, and I am a senior this year. At the time of this writing, I am set to graduate in two weeks. I tried my hand at almost every school activity that I could, including starting a Dungeons and Dragons club for a year, being one of the first members if the Ranger/LR Post and the only one who continued till senior year, a member of every single theatre production since the start if my freshman year, being a part of chorus for four years, and select chorus for two, being an instrumentalist in band for three years, and participating in Future Business Leaders of America for four years. I was the local chapter historian my sophomore year, the local chapter reporter and State Parliamentarian my Junior year, and the Local chapter Reporter and State Northern Vice President my senior year. I also placed in around 30 events since the start of my freshman year if not more.

I was also a member of the Model United Nations for two years, the most recent of which I became the Local Treasurer. I was also a part of the Student Council for the past two years, being the Treasurer for both years, and I have also been an off and on member of cooking club—my work often getting in the way of being able to attend consistently, Last but not least, I was a member of Outdoor Track for the first time ever this semester, although I was not able to attend many meets. Even if you haven’t done a sport before, the track and field team has been a very accepting place. 

I’m not sure of my greatest achievement. I am hoping that my greatest achievement won’t be when I am in highs chool but rather later on in my life. That said, I am very proud of everything I have done and been able to accomplish in the past 4 years. For hobbies, I have to say I don’t have all that much free time. When I do have some, I like to spend time with my family and friends, and when I get the chance sit down, I like to read, paint, or crochet. 

My favorite class has been a toss up as of late. The one that I found easiest and the most fun was War and Warfare, while the most challenging subject with a great teacher was 3-D CAD. Another challenging with another wonderful teacher (and one of my favorite subjects), was AP Literature.  

The most influential person in my life is my mom. She is always there for me when I need her and even when I don’t. I like to compare her to the old wise man in the movies, guiding the characters on their journey, giving them advice, and usually having amazing foresight.  My mom’s my ‘old man guiding me on my journey’ and helping influence me as a person to be the best that I can be. 

Right now I am most afraid what the future holds. While I am excited to move on from high school, I am scared of what college is going to be like, and what new responsibilities life has in store for me that sound more terrifying as they get closer to reality. I know what a mortgage is now, and gap insurance, and the debt snowball, but that doesn’t mean I’m ready to deal with those things. I’m just looking forward to graduating, walking across the stage, and hopefully not tripping over my own feet.